Friday, May 24, 2013

Beach Bound

It's Memorial Day Weekend which means we're headed to the beach!  It's our annual trip that is normally just for the long weekend but has been extended to almost a week. Unfortunately, we don't get the whole week we planned because the step-son's got testing on the Friday, but hey I'll take all the time I can get out of Northern Virginia.  We haven't had a vacation since last August when we headed to the beach for a friend's wedding.  First, though, I have to get through the work day and then go home and pack, pack, pack.

We never go with any set plans, that's the best thing about vacation.  I plan to do a lot of picture taking and laughing and reading.  The Bean is excited to build sand castles, at least that's what he says, and Baby girl ... well she's only 6 months so she's just happy to be alive.  The weather's supposed to be mid-70's to low-80's all week, so ya know perfect beach weather! I CAN'T WAIT!

I never let the significance of this weekend slip my mind though.  While it's nice to get the time with family to unwind and relax I still realize that this weekend is to celebrate those that have served.  As the daughter of two retired soldiers I fully aware of the sacrifices made every day by our soldiers.  I'm thankful for those men and women that felt the calling of serving this great country so that I can enjoy the freedom I have.  I'm even more grateful for those that served and made the ultimate sacrifice.  I've never known the heartache of losing a loved one whose served but that doesn't mean I don't say a prayer for those that do.  On Monday I'll offer a moment of silence to those who fought and died because if not for them and their brothers and sisters at arms I wouldn't be be where I am.

Happy Friday!

No comments: