Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

I'm not sure how it's already halfway through May, especially since I feel like we were just celebrating the New Year.  Of course I'm sure the crazy weather we've been having here in Virginia isn't helping.  But alas halfway through May it is which means this weekend is Mother's Day.  I don't really go into Mother's Day with high hopes of relaxation and nothingness because that's just not my life.  Like my birthday I like to think of it as a day that's supposed to be all about me but in reality I'll still be up at least twice with baby girl for feedings and up by 730 or 8 watching Disney Junior with the toddler.  By 9 I'll be running around trying to get the teenager and Hubz up so we can get everyone ready for Church and out of the door on time.  It's just my life and I've resigned my self to the fact that days all about me are in the past, at least until all my littles are had and not so little anymore.  I'm mostly okay with it.

A few years ago we (I) started an annual Mother's Day Brunch at our house.  It's a chance for us as a family to get together and celebrate all the Moms of the family at once and then let everyone go off and do their own thing.  It's worked out great because it leaves the afternoon free for us all to spend the day with our individual families to do whatever we want, for me I'm hoping for a whole lot of nothing. Every one brings something and then I'm not stuck with all the prep, just with all the clean-up.  Unfortunately, not everyone embraces this time to spend with family for the Moms in our lives but most of them do and that's good enough for me.

This time of year always makes me nostalgic. I mean how is it that I've been out of college for 8 years? and yet it feels like just yesterday I was off to on ELITE leadership retreat in Tampa to begin my freshman year. but then I blinked and I was a momma and a wife. I'll tell anyone that will listen that college was 4 of the best years of my life but these last 3 years as a momma & before that a step-mom, they're quickly surpassing those 4 years. My college self would never believe who we've become but oh to be a momma to these kids.  These kids make me a better person, even when they're driving me nuts. 

It's true we don't realize the strength of a Mother's love until you are one. 

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: