Thursday, June 18, 2009

Good Books

Sometimes when I'm in a really bad place I tend to sit and look back at all the things I haven't done in my life. Yup, that's right I throw myself a pity party for 1 b/c really I don't need anyone to revel in my failures. However, I just finished a book, Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah, that reminded me to take stock in all the things I have done. I have a college degree, a husband that I adore and a step-son I'm proud of. My family, for all their drama, is my light at the end of a dark tunnel and my friends, the family I got to pick, keep me grounded and remind me of who I am. I may not be a size 3 or a big corporate lawyer, but I have job that pays my bills and a roof over my head. Sure I can be a negative Nancy but all in all my life's not half bad.

Something else that Firefly Lane made me think of is how much a girl needs a best friend. However, a true best friend doesn't have to be consant in your everyday life to be constant in your everyday heart. We're about 2-months out from my best friend moving across the country and it's this that has kind of help me come to terms with her leaving. She'll only be gone about 2-years and it's only about $230 to fly out there. So I'll settle on this and hold on to it. The next 8-weeks will go quicker that I could ever imagine but we'll make them count.

No comments: