Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dysfunction

I'm not oblivious of the fact that every family has dysfunction, but often time I look at my family and wonder how one family could be such a mess. And how out of that mess did I wind up the least bit messed up. Divorce is a part of our culture, people decide that the vows they took weren't that serious and just end thier marriage, it's not my job to judge their reasons. My parents divorced when I was 16, it broke my spirit more than anyone knows, but I trudged on. It was at that point that I realized I was a survivor and began to believe that, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger." My sisters however didn't fair quite as well. Though they'd never admit it the divorce affected them in ways I don't even think they're aware of. There's is not my story to tell but I will say that slowly but surely, and not with out hurt to themselves, our family or others, they're getting themselves together and I couldn't be prouder. My little brother was also a casuality of the divorce, but not b/c of my parents (we don't even share a father) but because he came into a family that couldn't handle the responsibility off adding another spirit to nourish. Just recently this has become all to apparent. My brother has been stealing from all of us! It angers me b/c I gave him and out but it hurts me more b/c obviously he's screaming for attention. My mom, God love her, is tired wants to be a grandma not so much a mom. She let's him get away with murder and now those choices are coming to haunt her. My brother, regardless of what he does, is a good kid...he just makes very, very bad choices. I'm hoping with guidance and therapy and a little God in his life (I firmly believe Church would help him) that he'll find his way. He's only 11 and I refuse to give up on him b/c...What does not kill us, only makes us Stronger.

No comments: