Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent

Today, Ash Wednesday, starts the 40 days of Lent. A time when Catholics prepare for the resurrection of Christ through prayer and fasting. I'm fasting today & going to Church. This year in an effort to test myself I've given up all unnecessary spending. This means no Starbuck's on Tuesdays before class, no shoes or purses just because I can. No lunches at work, no movies out, no sushi on grocery shopping weeks, nothing that will require me to spend money I don't need to. My reason for doing this is two fold. First the purpose of giving up something for Lent is to sacrafice something that you take for granted in life. My hemoragging of money, especially lately, is something I'd like to be more aware of. Which brings me to my second reason, I want to get out of debt! And I'm not always aware of the way I'm spending money, especially since I got my annual raise. So for the next 40 days, except for my visit to South Carolina to see my good friend Sarah, I'm going to live a low key, low maintenance life. We shall see how well I do. I have the utmost faith in myself. Come Easter I'll have something to be proud of myself for, among the many other things I'm proud of, and I'll beable to see the fruits of my sacrafice b/c my plan is when ever I want/need to buy something I'm going to round that amount to the nearst dollar and put it in savings. We shall see....

No comments: